It seems like just yesterday we started our happy little website here at MovieSnobs.net. It’s hard to believe it’s already been two years. August 21st, 2005 was our official launch date. I know what you’re thinking, there’s reviews up that pre-date August 21st, 2005. I know this. When Christine and I started the site, we wrote a bunch of reviews during the initial phase of development. I actually started working on the site (which was originally called WaitForNetflix.com) on May 9th, 2005. After a quick “Is it okay to use your name for our website?” e-mail to Netflix, we quickly changed to MovieSnobs.net, when they responded with a “sure, and we’ll sue the pants off you for trademark infringement” e-mail.
So here we are, two years later. A lot has changed over the last two years. Namely things got better over the years, as I learned more web development techniques, and coding. The more I learned, the more I could do with the site, and I’d like to think I have done some good things. Over the last two years, we’ve taken ideas and suggestions from our current (and former) staff members, and from our site visitors, as well. Some things that have been added over the years:
- Site Search – We implemented this back in February of 2006. It’s changed quite a bit over the years, displaying more relevant results based on what you searched for.
- MovieSnobs Staff blog – this came and went. We realized after a few weeks that it was hard enough keeping up with the website, let alone a community blog for all of us.
- MovieSnobs Discussion Forums – we added the forums due to popular demand from some former staff members. Are you a frequent poster? If not, click here to signup.
- MovieSnobs Annual Snobbies – This year marked the second annual Snobbies, our own movie awards. We plan to continue doing them going forward. They run every year from January 1st through March 31st. Be sure to tune in then, to cast your vote. You could win free movies for an entire year.
- Sortable Archives – We made the archives on the site sortable based on a number of factors; date, author, rating, alphabetically, by reviewer.
- Movie Ratings – when reading one of our reviews, you can now add your own rating (1 to 5 stars), which will be automatically added to the user-average for that movie.
We’ve got a lot more in store coming up over the next few months, into early next year. Got an idea you want to see added to the site? Drop it in the comments. We can’t promise to implement everything, but we do promise to read them all.
After two years, I’m pleased to say that we’ve got 326 movie reviews on our site, with a total of 1061 cast member pages. While it may seem like a lot of work keeping the site up-to-date (it is, trust me), it’s also a lot of fun. MovieSnobs has become part of our daily ritual, and part of our lives, and we’re glad to have it. I’d like to thank everyone who’s contributed to the site over the years, commenters, forum posters, people who have submitted suggestions, people who have written in to agree with or argue with any of the reviews we’ve posted, and all of our current and past staff writers. Without you, our little hobby site would be nothing. Thank you all.
Some of the most popular reviews we’ve done over the years are, in order of most read:
Share This Post