2008 got off to a great start with the release of Cloverfield, but ended in tragedy with the death of Heath Ledger, an extremely talented young actor. It was a busy month for movie news, and a sad month for Hollywood. Here’s what was most popular on MovieSnobs for January 2008.
- The Third Annual Snobbies – Every year since we started the MovieSnobs we have held our own movie awards, voted on by our readers. The readers who vote for the most number of movies that win are eligible to win great prizes. This year the grand prize is free movies for an entire year. First prize is an 8 GB Apple iPod Touch.
- The Prestige Explained – Mike’s minute-by-minute explanation of The Prestige has our readers debating the entire plotline down to the last detail. Join the discussion if you’ve seen the movie.
- 40 Hottest Women Over 40 – Mike took a look at the lovely ladies of Hollywood that have passed their 40th birthday. The list includes Eva LaRue, Maria Bello, and Famke Janssen. Have one you’d like to add to the list? Tell Mike about it in the comments.
- Unofficial Cloverfield Soundtrack Available – Since the bulk of the opening of Cloverfield is set at a party for 20-somethings, naturally there’d be a good soundtrack for it. Somewhere in all their marketing craziness, Paramount forgot to put out a soundtrack, so someone else figured out the playlist.
- Ryan Gosling – Underrated Actor of the Year – Ryan Gosling fans have been finding our article about how wonderful he is, probably because of the gorgeous picture of him in the post.
- Heath Ledger’s Actor Page – Unfortunately the news of Heath Ledger’s passing drove people to search for any scrap of information they could find, making his actor page on our site one of the most popular pages of the month. Heath’s untimely passing occurred in New York City on January 22nd.
- D-Wars Sequel Already? – We are just sequel-crazy. You never would have seen sequels to Gone With The Wind or Casablanca. Then again, Dragon Wars isn’t exactly high-class cinema.
- New Hitman Poster and Images – While Hitman certainly wasn’t the best movie of last year, the poster was awesome.
- Cloverfield – After the enormous amounts of hype and promotion, Cloverfield finally was released in theaters. The MovieSnobs team thought it was awesome. There’s already a sequel planned.
- The Prestige Review – Mike’s review of The Prestige is still one of the most read pieces on our site, over a year after it was written.
That’s the wrap-up for January 2008. The movie world gained a movie phenomenon called Cloverfield and lost one of the most talented young actors of our generation.
Share This Post